Celebrating My 60th Year!

Celebrating My 60th Year!

This past weekend I celebrated my 60 birthday by marking the date with a photo shoot. My father was a  photographer for the navy; and as such I’ve been in front of the camera with a professional photographer starting in my youth.

Part of me was hesitant about this decision because when I mentioned it to key people in my life they seen to yawn at the idea. But I found certain images kept reappearing before me as if they wanted to be born. Finally, I called a long time friend, photographer Edward C. Jones, who I’ve known since our days at Howard University and asked if he was up for this venture. His was the first positive feedback. Even with that vote of confidence, I vacillated many times, I wanted to cancel, but eventually I went forward with this plan.

Part of my inspiration to do this shoot was to address “looking younger” than my age. What has been most important to me, is feeling vibrant and healthy. I have often felt humbled by these compliments and wanted to share that my looking younger and being healthy did not come from “good genes”. My so-called youthful appearance, I believe has come from a lifestyle of both discipline and sacrifice.  What has been most surprising to me is that as I become older, being disciplined has not become easier.  There is a part of me wants to rest on my laurels, but I know it doesn’t work like that. You use it or you loose it. I know that I’m only as good as my last meditation, my last yoga practice, my last act of compassion.

When in my 20s and 30s I was not out partying and drinking on weekends like many people are at that age. I was at home going to bed early, including on the weekends, after standing on my feet braiding hair for 8, 10, 12 hours a day. Instead of partying and drinking alcohol, I was consuming herbal infusions and fresh pressed juices, and in bed most nights by 10:00.  And practicing yoga helped mitigate the occupational hazards of that sedentary work of standing and sitting on a high stool for hours on end.  Yoga saved me.

I am still an early to sleep, early to rise kind of gal. I was also a vegan at that time and practicing yoga on a regular basis as well as doing aerobic workout regularly (mostly power walking and bicycling around Central Park when I lived in Harlem and Prospect Park when I moved to Brooklyn). In addition, I belonged to Ausar Auset an African religious organization that focused on yoga, meditation, a spiritually based lifestyle and many of the same spiritual concepts and practices that I am re-visiting through the teachings of the Buddha, via the teachings of Thích Nhât Hanh, I was also introduced to at Ausar Auset .  Most of my close friends from that time are still my close friends today and they are all healthy, vibrant and on no medications; and many of them are five to seven years older than I am.

I sincerely believe my decision to live a healthy life style was greatly influenced by loosing my grandmother, who was my best friend, at the age of 8. My grandmother was just 48 years when she died of complications from type 2 diabetes and stroke. Diabetes “runs” in my family. But as we all have learned by now, that it’s really the diet and lifestyle that “runs” in the family and creates the conditions that lead to type 2 diabetes.

On the table behind me, my Ancestor shrine with photos of my dear grandmother and other family and friends now on the other side of eternity.

My grandmother amazed me as I watched her inject herself with insulin; she was a courageous hero in my eyes. And like most grandmothers of that era, she didn’t exercise. My Grandmother was a hairstylist who ended up with varicose veins, that later crippled her when she had a botched operation on them.  Additionally, my mother has been very sickly all my life in and out of hospitals ever since I was a young child and the same is true to this day. I did not want to continue this legacy of illness in my family. But of course I did not realize this consciously as a child.

It has been an amazing journey to reach this age in my life, many years past my grandmother’s time on the planet. My inspiration for this photo shoot in addition to celebrating my 60th year, is to hopefully inspire others to take care good care of their selves and consider including the wonders and benefits of yoga into their lives to uplift both the inner and outer body as well as the mind and spirit. And to also say, “Here’s to you Grandma.”  I feel she’s never left me, she ever at my side. Feel free to reach out to me for a yogic consultations and or private yoga classes.  You can reach me at Anu@AnuEssentials.com

Grandma, I made it! 60 and healthy with a life full of love and joy!

Check out the my YouTube video of a little Vinyasa Yoga Flow.

Photos by Edward C. Jones @edwardcjones3 / Make-up by Prentiss Anais @the1prentissanais

18 Comments

• Yvonne J.

03/29/2017 at 2:19 pm

You look beautiful (and not for a 60 year old…I had to add that!) Your love of life and your passion looks good on you. I will celebrate with you. I will post your on my FB page to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. I love it!

• anu

03/29/2017 at 6:24 pm

I appreciate your support and am tickled that you are help me to celebrate! Thanks so much!

• Jaki Shelton Green

03/29/2017 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for sharing your instructional insights and your authentic… no filters… no masks… “beautiful beauty.” Celebrating the many kinships that embrace our siSTARhood.

• anu

03/29/2017 at 6:23 pm

My pleasure Jaki. Making every attempt to be true to myself so I can be true to the world.

• Alfreda Thomas

03/29/2017 at 6:09 pm

Anu, I think you are Amazing!!!!! You are such an inspiration to me. I’m 57 years young, and I’m focusing on my health , body and spirit. I became interested in you at first ,because of your hair products. And it just flourished from there, I admire the way you embrace aging, because I feel that we’re only getting wiser, stronger, and seasoned. I believe we should celebrate the years we have accomplished, and the blessing of the years to come. God Bless You, and please keep doing what you are doing for you & Me.

• anu

03/29/2017 at 6:22 pm

Thank you Alfreda, we are all on this journey together and acceptance and celebration makes all the difference in the world. Thank you for your encouragement and support. Keep up the good work.

• Ayesha

03/29/2017 at 8:22 pm

I am amazingly so much of who I am today because of you. Grateful for the example you set. You are an excellent model of what love of oneself and for life looks like. You are phenomenal, Anu. Celebrate. Everyday. It’s Always Your Birthday!!!! 🙂

• anu

03/30/2017 at 7:39 am

Awww! My sweet, young Aries sister, friend, daughter… we inter-are. Thank you for the love and support!

• Natasha Blevins

03/29/2017 at 11:59 pm

Happy belated birthday to you. You make 60 look darn good.

• anu

03/30/2017 at 7:36 am

Thank you, Natasha! On my new road…

• LaBrenda Garrett-Nelson

03/30/2017 at 8:45 am

Thank you for sharing your journey and reminding us that it is all about the lifestyle! Happy belated Born Day!

• anu

03/31/2017 at 9:26 pm

Thank you LaBrenda! Much love!

• Pat Mabry

03/30/2017 at 5:08 pm

Hi Anu,
    This is a beautiful tribute I too turned 60 on 3/12 and I had a awesome celebration of life with close friends and family. I am so thankful for living and being raised by my mother who encouraged healthy living , and introduced me to the performing arts at the age of 7. I believe that dance has kept me looking and living a healthy youthful life. Many of my friends and family did not live to see 60, sometime getting older can be a challenge; however it is also a blessing and I LOVE MY LIFE!!!

Anu continue to do what you doin Girl!!! You look good, and your Anu Essentials is a part of our youthful living. Thank You

• anu

03/31/2017 at 9:26 pm

What a blessing dance is Pat! You are very fortunate. I wanted to be a dancer as a child and I feel yoga has been a lovely compromise. Thank you for your sweet well wishes! Big hugs!

• Crystal Agyemang

03/31/2017 at 6:00 am

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing your story. I’ve been blessed. ?

• anu

03/31/2017 at 9:24 pm

Your blessing is my blessing Crystal. Thank you for taking the time to read about my journey.

• Zakiyyah Zai'mah

04/02/2017 at 5:35 pm

Thank you, Anu, for sharing your lovely reflections and tribute to your grandmother.

• anu

04/07/2017 at 11:37 am

Thank you for reading it Zakiyyah! My grandmother, my guardian angel and constant companion.